How to create a Minimalist Closet:
1. Donate anything you do not wear, want, or like… do not keep anything out of guilt. Put momentos in a separate pile
2. Buy matching hangers. Non-slip are good. You are going to look at your closet everyday of your life… invest in beautiful hangers.
3. Hang, sort, and label. Cubes from Target or Ikea are great!
4. Use labels on the hanging rod too. I got mine at The Container Store, and they say things like “Cardis” (for cardigans) and “Vegas”(for sparkly dresses.) There are the basic labels too like “Summer” and “Black” Make your labels fit your needs.
5. Get a bin from Ikea or Target and label it “Relics” or “Momentos” Put all your momentos here. If you have tons of pictures, scan on a hard-drive or Cloud. If you have tons of videos- digitize them. Places like Costco and Staples will do it for you too. Just get it done. Free up your space. Free up your life. There is no need to keep oodles of moments when we live in the digital age… if you’re having trouble getting rid of something, take a picture of it, then donate.
6. Get shoe bins. I store mine above ground. Put some lysol wipes, a lint-roller, and other “upkeep” items like shoe-polish in a bin labeled “extras.” If you have too many “extras,” downsize.
7. Make sure your closet is clean and bright. Use a color that makes you happy. I love white and pink. I hate brown… but when we moved in that’s what the color of the closet was… so I improvised. We are going to get custom closets very soon. Until then, this system works great.
8. Make sure you have a separate section for purses, belts, and jewelry. Store costume jewelry in a jewelry hanger from The Container Store or Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I like The Little Black Dress brand. They make everything from scarf-hangers to accessory organizers, and it frees up a lot of space.
9. Roll up magazines… put them in plastic bags and put them in your boots to help keep their shape. Before putting your shoes back in your closet.. give the bottoms a wipe with the lysol or polish (if you have a ton of work shoes or sneakers… like I do… have a separate bin for them. These tips are mostly for good shoes you want to keep nice.)
10. Maintain! Every month I go through at least one bin or section and get rid of something I’m not wearing. It frees up space for what I will wear, and when I donate, I feel good! Keep a plastic bag or bin in the trunk of your car (or garage) for donations. Whenever you come across something (jewelry, earphones.. old sunglasses) you don’t want, you can put it here. When the bag is full- make a trip to donate!
11. Don’t get discouraged! It took me months to get all my momentos organized and down to one bin. I had giveaways, made scrapbooks, digitized, and donated… but now It’s done! With room to spare for new items. Remember: Stuff is just stuff. It’s the people in our lives that mean the most. Make new memories:))
12. Enjoy your closet! You’ll be able to get dressed in a breeze!!!
(Photo: Closet, KLC, Jan. 2014- KAM)